Thursday, December 17, 2009

Invictus


I recently saw the movie, "Invictus" directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon. What a great movie! It was entertaining, inspiring and a joy to watch.

The movie title is based on the poem "Invictus" by English poet John Henley in 1875. Henley suffered from tuberculosis and the poem was written from his hospital bed. In the film, Nelson Mandela gives a copy of the poem to rugby captain, Francois Pienaar, as a way of inspiring him to lead his team to a World Cup championship.

Here's the text of the poem,

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.


Inspiring poetry and amazing film. Go see it!

1 comment:

  1. This was one of my Dad's favorite poems.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete