Monday, October 18, 2010

Filling Your Tank


I've been reminded again of the importance of refilling your "tank" when it is on empty. Last week, I had too much to get done in the allotted time and, by the end of the week, was running on fumes.

Having too much to do is only one of the things that empties our tanks. Anything that is stressful or energy-sapping can lead to the need for a refill. Pain, disappointment, loss and failure are some of the main culprits of draining energy and will. When our tank is empty, we can become discouraged and lose heart.

Fortunately, I know what fills my tank. So I took time to go on a hike with a friend. The hike was both challenging and scenic because of the fall foliage at its peak in color. For the time I was hiking, I forgot about all of things that were causing me stress. When I returned, I was better able to deal with all the tasks ahead.

Each of us needs to discover what fills our tank. We can't run on fumes for very long before we're totally out of energy. A synonym for "filling your tank" is "feeding your soul." When we learn what refreshes and rejuvenates our souls, then we will have energy, vitality and will to tackle the tasks that life throws at us.

No comments:

Post a Comment