Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Impermanence and Permanence


I realize I've written about the beauty of fresh snow before, but must do so again. Last night's snow silently covered all surfaces and tree limbs and I woke up to a winter wonderland.

Fresh snow is one of winter's gifts and I am grateful for it. Yet, by the end of the day, most of the snow will have melted with temperatures reaching near 40. The gift of snow is only temporary.

The melting of snow reminds me of the impermanence of all things. In the material realm nothing lasts forever. Snow comes and goes. Rocks erode. Suns eventually run out of fuel and become supernovae.

Only in the spiritual realm is there eternity. At least that is what I believe. God has existed from the beginning of the universe and will live past its end, if there is an end to it. I also believe that our souls, the deepest part of ourselves, will also endure for eternity. I don't/can't know what form that eternal existence will take.

In the midst of the impermanence of the material realm is permanence of an eternal, spiritual realm. Therefore, death (impermanence) is not the final word about our existence but eternal life (permanence) is.

No comments:

Post a Comment